Recipe by BrotherAdso
Adaptable, healthy, and hearty whole wheat and bran muffins with a little tang from the buttermilk, a little twist from some molasses, and a little sweet from the honey. These are great for snacking or toasted to absorb some black-as-sin coffee.
Top Review by panoramajen
Thank you! Thank you! Finally a muffin recipe that works! I made them exactly as the recipe states and they turned out perfectly, they rose up nice and high,with a moist cake like texture. They popped right out of the pan. This is the muffin recipe for me. No more hockey pucks--hooray!
- 2 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk, I use non-fat
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons molasses or 1⁄8 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey or 1⁄8 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray/grease your muffin pan.
- Mix together the wheat bran, brown sugar, and buttermilk.
- Whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a seperate bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, oil, applesauce, honey, and molasses in a seperate bowl.
- Add the whole wheat flour to the soaked bran (it should have been given at least 5-15 minutes.).
- Add the oil-honey-molasses egg to the main bowl.
- Mix all together until thoroughly combined but lumpy.
- Divide and bake for 20 minutes or until risen and browned.
- VARATIONS: Always good to include are raisins, plumped or not, bananas, chopped, or apples. These should be about 1-1.5 cups each, and with bananas, one should reduce the liquid by 1/2-1/4 of a cup, the same with plumped raisins. Cinnamon and nutmeg also help.