1/4 Photos of Handmade Onion Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
I know there are recipes for onion bread on the site already, but I can't find anything without a bread machine. This is the best onion bread I've ever tasted -- I don't know how I managed to do it. LOL The base recipe is "Grandma VanDoren's White Bread," taken from another site, and is my default recipe. For just the base bread recipe, eliminate the onion mixture and follow the rest of the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, combine warm water, yeast, salt, oil, sugar, and half the flour. Mix thoroughly, and let sponge rise until doubled in size, approximately 35 minutes.
- 2While the dough is rising, place thinly sliced or finely chopped onion in a sauté pan with sesame seeds, garlic, and butter. Sauté until caramelized (light brown). Remove from heat and let cool.
- 3Gradually add the rest of the flour, kneading JUST until smooth. I usually knead gently with my fingertips to work the flour inches When the dough has absorbed all the flour and is beginning to get tacky, I stop kneading. (One thing I discovered was to use ONLY the amount of flour listed, even as the dusting powder for the kneading surface. So 8 cups TOTAL and no more, or the bread comes out very heavy.)
- 4Place dough in a greased bowl, and turn several times to coat. Allow to rise until doubled, approximately 35 minutes.
- 5Punch down the dough. Divide dough into three equal parts. Pour onion mixture onto the dough and fold over on itself JUST enough to distribute the onion mix throughout the dough.
- 6Shape into loaves (they will be a little ugly here, not smoothed on top), and place in three 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch greased bread pans. Let rise until almost doubled, approximately 35 minutes.
- 7Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30-40 minutes (mine are done in 30 no problem). The loaves may need to be covered for the last few minutes with foil to prevent excess browning.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Handmade Onion Bread
Serving Size: 1 (2089 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1676.5
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 2426.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 297.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 35.8 g
- Protein 40.2 g