Handkaes Mit Musik (Handkaes Cheese With Music)
- Divide cheese into four pieces, and arrange on four individual plates.
- Liberally sprinkle with freshly grated black pepper.
- Mix salt into the vinegar and keep stirring until salt is fully dissolved. Add oil and stir well.
- Peel onions and chop onion into small pieces.
- Mix chopped onion into the marinade, then evenly divide marinade over the four portions of cheese. Top with a bit of caraway seed.
- Serve with buttered rye bread and dry white wine (or in Hessia, with apple wine).
- Note: The dish can be prepared several hours before serving but in that case, you should cover the cheese with foil. This way the marinade will soak in better and enhance the cheese's flavor.