Prep 6 hrs
Cook 50 mins
This is Harsha Lakhani's prize winning recipe from the Thursday magazine (dated May27-June 2'2004) Enjoy!
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup urad flour
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 (200 g) bottle gourd, grated
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a bowl, mix the rice flour, urad flour, gramflour, yogurt and water (As Required) to get a pouring consistency.
- Allow this to ferment for 5-6 hours.
- Squeeze out the excess water from the grated bottle gourd.
- Add 4 tbsps.
- oil, lemon juice, baking soda, sugar, grated ginger, chilli powder and salt to taste to the fermented batter.
- Mix this extremely well.
- Grease a baking tray with a little oil.
- Pour the prepared mixture into it.
- Now pour 5 tbsps.
- of oil in a pot and heat on medium flame until hot.
- Add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Once they stop spluttering, add sesame seeds,fennel (ajwain) seeds and asafoetida powder.
- Stir-fry this mixture until it turns reddish in colour.
- Remove from heat.
- Spread this mixture over the mixture in the greased baking dish.
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C.
- Bake the mixture in the greased dish for 35-40 minutes until the upper layer becomes brownish in colour.
- Check with a toothpick to see if it's baked properly or not.
- To do so, insert a toothpick into the baked mixture and remove.
- If the mixture sticks to the toothpick, bake for some more time and watch carefully so as to not let the mixture burn.
- If the toothpick comes out clean, the mixture has been baked properly.
- Remove from oven.
- After 5 minutes have passed, cut the mixture into 2 cm sized squares.
- Serve hot with Heinz tomato ketchup and green chutney.