This is excellent for picnics or even quick, on the go lunches. The prep time includes time for letting dough rise. ENJOY!
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand until fully dissolved and creamy (this will take close to 10 minutes).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dissolved yeast mixture, with the flour, butter, egg, sugar and salt and mix this well.
- When the dough has come (pulled) together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until nice and smooth.
- This will take around 7-8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, place the dough in this bowl and turn to coat the dough with oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and set aside to rise in a warm place until it has doubled in volume.
- This will take approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Combine ham, cheese, pimento, and olives in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- ROll or pat the dough into a 10x14 inch rectangle.
- Make parallel cuts 3/4 inch wide and 2 inches long on the two long edges of the rectangle.
- Evenly spread the filling mixture over the center of the rectangle.
- Fold the short ends of the rectangle over the filling.
- Starting from one of these ends-- alternately stretch strips so that they overlap diagnally.
- Transfer the loaf to a lightly greased baking sheet, cover with damp cloth and set aside to rise until doubled in volume.
- This will take around 40 minutes or so.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.