1/1 Photo of Ham'n Cheese Picnic Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
This is excellent for picnics or even quick, on the go lunches. The prep time includes time for letting dough rise. ENJOY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand until fully dissolved and creamy (this will take close to 10 minutes).
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine the dissolved yeast mixture, with the flour, butter, egg, sugar and salt and mix this well.
- 3When the dough has come (pulled) together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until nice and smooth.
- 4This will take around 7-8 minutes.
- 5Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, place the dough in this bowl and turn to coat the dough with oil.
- 6Cover with a damp cloth and set aside to rise in a warm place until it has doubled in volume.
- 7This will take approximately 1 hour.
- 8Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 9Combine ham, cheese, pimento, and olives in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- 10Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 11ROll or pat the dough into a 10x14 inch rectangle.
- 12Make parallel cuts 3/4 inch wide and 2 inches long on the two long edges of the rectangle.
- 13Evenly spread the filling mixture over the center of the rectangle.
- 14Fold the short ends of the rectangle over the filling.
- 15Starting from one of these ends-- alternately stretch strips so that they overlap diagnally.
- 16Transfer the loaf to a lightly greased baking sheet, cover with damp cloth and set aside to rise until doubled in volume.
- 17This will take around 40 minutes or so.
- 18Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham'n Cheese Picnic Bread
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.8
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 50.4 mg
- Sodium 739.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 13.2 g