Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
Pork shoulder steaks, deboned, defatted and pounded tender with seasonings, with tender crisp broccoli. A quick tasty supper, I like to serve it with brown rice.
- 2 pork shoulder steaks, bones removed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mixed spice (coriander, cinnamon, pimento, ginger, cassia, nutmeg, cloves)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- vegetable oil cooking spray (I use Pam)
- 8 -10 broccoli stems
- Remove bones and any visible fat from steaks, pat dry.
- Combine egg, water and pepper sauce in a small bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Combine next 8 ingredients on a plate, mix well.
- Soak steaks in egg mixture, reserve remaining egg mixture, then dredge in flour mixture.
- Place dredged steaks on a sheet of plastic wrap, sprinkle with any remaining flour mixture on both sides, cover steaks with a second sheet of plastic wrap.
- Pound steaks to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Soak dredged/pounded steaks with remaining egg mixture.
- Spray non stick frypan with veggie spray and heat pan to medium hot, the steaks should sizzle when placed in pan.
- Reduce heat to medium, brown thoroughly on one side, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and cut broccoli into spears.
- Turn steaks to brown other side and add broccoli spears to pan, leaving a small amount of the water on the broccoli.
- Cover and cook until the broccoli is tender crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.