1/1 Photo of Hamentashen With Yeast Dough
2 hrs 25 mins
Posted in response to a recipe request. Hamentashen are the filled triangular pastries eaten on the Jewish holiday of Purim. Traditional fillings are either prune or poppy seed. In the last 15 years or so I've been having a lot of fun coming up with other fillings, like peanut butter and chocolate, and apple cinnamon. Prep time includes the time the dough takes to rise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (2-1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- pie filling (purchased filling of your choice!) or chocolate chips (purchased filling of your choice!) or toffee pieces (purchased filling of your choice!)
- 1Combine all the dry ingredients.
- 2In a separate bowl, mix together all the liquid ingredients.
- 3Gradually add the dry ingredients to the liquid to form a dough.
- 4Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- 5Spray a large mixing bowl with Pam and place the dough inside.
- 6Spray the Pam on the dough and cover loosely with a towel until the dough doubles in size.
- 7Punch down the dough.
- 8Divide into thirds on a lightly floured surface.
- 9Roll out each piece until it is ¼-inch thick.
- 10Cut out 3-inch rounds.
- 11Reroll scraps.
- 12Place the filling in the center of each dough round.
- 13Fold three sides up to form a triangle, leaving some filling exposed in the center.
- 14Place the hamentashen 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- 15Cover again and let rise at room temperature until nearly double, about one hour.
- 16Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 17Brush the tops of the hamentashen with the egg wash.
- 18Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- 19Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamentashen With Yeast Dough
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.3
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 21.1 mg
- Sodium 124.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 3.3 g