Recipe by dawnie2u
A friend of mine used to make these burgers, and instead of putting the jerk seasoning in the meat, she put it in the caramelized onions. I add more than a teaspoon of the Jerk Seasoning because I like it really spicy. So start out with a little and add until you get the heat level you like.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3 large yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean jerk marinade (Walker's Wood brand preferred)
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices cheese, if desired (optional)
- ketchup (optional)
- mustard (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and halve the onions. Slice into thin slices. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan. In a wide frying pan over medium heat, cook the onions in butter, for 20 minutes. Stir frequently to keep onions from burning. Add the jerk seasoning to the onions, and turn the pan down to it's lowest heat. Or you may put the onions in a microwave-proof dish and nuke when burgers are done.
- Form the ground beef into four patties and grill, fry or broil until they are done. Top with cheese during the last few minutes so as to melt it.
- Toast the hamburger buns, if desired.
- Place burger on buns and top with the caramelized onions.
- Serve with mustard and ketchup, if desired.