Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A family favorite from Mastering the Art of French Cooking
Make and share this Hamburgers With Cream Sauce (Julia Child) recipe from Food.com.
For beef patties
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup flour, spread on plate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 cup stock (chicken or beef or bouillon)
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the onions slowly in butter for about 10 minutes or until very soft but not browned. Place in mixing bowl and add beef, softened butter, salt, pepper, thyme and egg. Blend thoroughly and form into patties.
- Roll patties in flour and shake off excess. Heat butter and oil over moderately high heat. When the foam has begun to subside, it is hot enough to add the patties.
- Add patties in single layer and sauté for 3 minutes or per side depending on how well done you want them. Move them to serving platters and keep warm.
- For sauce: pour the fat off of the skillet and add the stock. Boil it down rapidly, scraping up the bits from the pan, until almost a syrup consistency. Add the cream and boil it down for a minute or two until reduced and thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over the burgers.