1/6 Photos of Hamburgers with Brown Gravy (TOTAL Comfort Food aka "Meat Cakes" :)
These are sooooo great (and EZ)! I grew up eating these about once a week and they are incredible with mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles and a veggie. While this recipe is basically my mom's, I have changed one thing...instead of using chopped onion in the burgers, I use an envelope of onion soup mix...it gives them the PERFECT flavor! This is now one of my family's favorite meals...try it and it will probably become one of your's, too. P.S. These burgers also work for grilling (without the gravy :).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 6 pieces bread, broken into small bits (potato bread works great, but I usually use white bread)
- 1 envelope onion soup mix, dry
- to taste salt, to taste (because of the soup mix, you may not need it, although we still do)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 2 eggs
- 2 envelopes brown gravy mix
- 2 cups water
- 1Combine ground beef, bread, soup mix, salt, pepper, ketchup, garlic powder, parsley and eggs in a large bowl until well mixed.
- 2Prepare each burger with approx 1/3 cup of meat mixture and form into patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- 3Heat a 12" skillet over med-high heat and fry burgers for about 5 minutes on each side, until they are almost done.
- 4Remove burgers to a plate and discard all but about a tablespoon of drippings from skillet.
- 5Lower heat under skillet and prepare brown gravy with water in a bowl or measuring cup; slowly pour into skillet, stirring constantly, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom.
- 6When gravy has thickened, place burgers back in the pan and cover.
- 7Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until burgers are done.
- 8Serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburgers with Brown Gravy (TOTAL Comfort Food aka "Meat Cakes" :)
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.1
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 98.8 mg
- Sodium 450.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 18.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
brown gravy mix