Recipe by Karen=^..^=
These are sooooo great (and EZ)! I grew up eating these about once a week and they are incredible with mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles and a veggie. While this recipe is basically my mom's, I have changed one thing...instead of using chopped onion in the burgers, I use an envelope of onion soup mix...it gives them the PERFECT flavor! This is now one of my family's favorite meals...try it and it will probably become one of your's, too. P.S. These burgers also work for grilling (without the gravy :).
Top Review by AngelaTN
Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum. And YUM! These were great! Super fast, super tasty. It was so good I actually had to bring it to work and let all my coworkers ooh and aah over it, which they did. I am trying to keep a more "frugal" kitchen, and this fits the bill! Inexpensive to prepare, and very easy. I used extra lean ground beef and served with egg noodles. Next time I'll try mashed potatoes. I might even try serving with homemade mac and cheese instead of noodles or potatoes. Now THAT would be a great comfort food meal. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 6 pieces bread, broken into small bits (potato bread works great, but I usually use white bread)
- 1 envelope onion soup mix, dry
- to taste salt, to taste (because of the soup mix, you may not need it, although we still do)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 2 eggs
- 2 envelopes brown gravy mix
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ground beef, bread, soup mix, salt, pepper, ketchup, garlic powder, parsley and eggs in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Prepare each burger with approx 1/3 cup of meat mixture and form into patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat a 12" skillet over med-high heat and fry burgers for about 5 minutes on each side, until they are almost done.
- Remove burgers to a plate and discard all but about a tablespoon of drippings from skillet.
- Lower heat under skillet and prepare brown gravy with water in a bowl or measuring cup; slowly pour into skillet, stirring constantly, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom.
- When gravy has thickened, place burgers back in the pan and cover.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until burgers are done.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.