Recipe by Iceman _ 142
This is a real nice comfort food. My wife and kids love 'em and there is never enough. This is easily doubled for the bigger families.
Top Review by Marsha D.
My husband enjoyed this recipe. I reduced it down to half a recipe. I also changed the method and just used my skillet instead of putting in the oven. I used 2 beef bouillon cubes in 10 oz of water for the beef broth and I added some whipping cream for a richer flavor and also to make the gravy a bit more smoother. The flavor from the seasonings were great and was a nice change than just a plain hamburger meat. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium onion
- 3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- 3 dashes A.1. Original Sauce
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup flour
- cold water
- salt and pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onion.
- Combine all ingredients in lg bowl.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Preheat a nice heavy fry pan on med heat. I prefer a good cast iron pan as I think it adds to the flavor. Add a few table spoons of canola oil to coat the pan.
- Form ground beef mix into tennis ball size patties, slightly flattening before placing into hot fry pan. Patties will sear nicely in the hot pan, turn over after 4 minutes or so. I like to really brown them on both sides. Don't worry if they sick a little -- it adds to the gravy. After browning to desired color, remove from pan and place in appropiate sized roaster. finish browning all beef mixture, adding slight amounts of oil as needed.
- After all are browned, add 2 cans of beef broth to drippings in fry pan. Heat to boiling.
- In the mean time place 1/2 cup of flour, Wondra gravy flour works best, in a x-large coffee mug, add cold water while mixing with a fork. Mixture should be thick like a milk shake. Add salt and pepper -- don't be afraid to use the pepper.
- Slowly add to boiling beef broth and dripping mixture in fry pan, wisking constantly, scraping up the bits stuck to the pan, re heat to boiling and reduce to simmering. allow to cook for 5 minutes to eliminate raw flour taste.
- Pour through a strainer over hamburgs in roasting pan and place in oven. Reduce heat to 275 and allow to bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- My family loves it served with mashed potatoes, canned corn and biscuts.