Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an adoptee. I made some significant changes 02/23/05 that I feel improve the recipe greatly. I hope you feel the same. Hamburger steak is underrated in my book.
- 1 lb beef, Ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons black pepper, Freshly Cracked (Or To Taste.)
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional) or 1 tablespoon cognac (optional)
- 3 tablespoons red wine, Dry (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix meat and salt.
- Shape mixture into 4 patties, each about 3/4 of an inch thick.
- Press pepper into both sides of the patties.
- Cook the patties in a large skillet ( I use cast iron)over medium-high heat, turning once, until the desired doneness is reached, about 8 minutes.
- Drain off the fat.
- Sprinkle the cognac over the patties, immediately ignite, if desired; THIS STEP IS FROM THE ORIGINAL RECIPE, I LEFT IT BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS COOL, I did NOT ignite my burger and it was delicious ;).
- Remove patties to a warm platter.
- Stir the wine into the drippings in the skillet.
- Heat just to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Whisk butter, small pieces at a time, into the sauce.
- Serve sauce over the patties.