Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very juicy burger and traditionally served as written on toast with a fried egg for lunch. Without the eggs they are equally as good any other way. If you don’t care for beets, chop them up very fine and no one will even notice them!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 2 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped pickled beet
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped capers
- 8 eggs
- 8 slices good quality white bread, toasted
- Combine meat, yolks, potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Stir in cream gradually.
- Mix well.
- Carefully mix in beets, onions and capers.
- Shape into 8 patties ½ inch thick.
- Fry quickly on both sides either in fry pan (or on grill,) until done.
- In another fry pan fry eggs as you would normally do.
- Place toast on hot serving plates.
- Top each toast with a pattie.
- If eggs are greasy, blot with paper towel and then top each pattie with an egg.
- Serve immediately.