An institution in Australia, a "hamburger with the lot" is an Aussie take on its American counterpart. A "hamburger with the lot" speaks of summer, surf and sunshine.
- 2 medium white onions, divided
- 500 g ground beef, extra lean
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 slices cheddar cheese or 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 eggs (for frying)
- 4 hamburger buns
- mayonnaise, to taste
- romaine lettuce, for 4
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- canned beets, sliced
- 5 -6 slices bacon
- tomato sauce, to taste (ketchup)
- Finely chop 1 onion and place it in a bowl with the beef, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, parsley, egg and sea salt.
- Mix well to combine.
- Shape the mixture into four large patties; place on a plate; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the remaining onion into rings and fry in 1 tablespoon oil over a medium-low heat.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until light golden and tender; set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan.
- Once the oil is swirling in the pan, add two beef patties.
- Fry for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Place a piece of cheese on each patty while they're still in the fry-pan. Let the cheese melt a little; remove the patties using a spatula.
- Place them on a plate and loosely cover in foil to keep warm.
- Repeat cooking process with the remaining patties.
- Discard most of the oil from the pan and fry the eggs to desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill on high.
- Place the hamburger buns, cut-side up, under preheated grill and toast for 30 seconds, each side, or until golden. You may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your grill.
- Finally assemble the hamburgers by spreading on mayonnaise on the bottom bun, followed by lettuce, a patty and cheese, tomato slices, beetroot slices, a fried egg, bacon, fried onions and finally, a squirt of tomato sauce.
- Cover with the hamburger bun tops.
- Serve immediately.