Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This soup can be also be prepared in a slow cooker on low for 8 to 10 hours. Makes 11 1/2 cups.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (2 cups)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, broken up
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Brown ground beef in large kettle or Dutch oven, sprinkling with salt while browning.
- Stir in remaining ingredients- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are crisp and tender.
This recipe is delicious, nutritious and versatile. It's easy to vary the amounts and types of vegetables you use. I added minced garlic to the ground beef while it browned. I cooked the soup in the crockpot all day on low and it was a treat to come home and have it ready to eat. I'll be making this often and it will probably be a little bit different each time. Thanks!