Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy, tasty, and left-overs freeze well.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, if needed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juice
- 6 cups beef stock or 6 cups broth
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, rinsed (I use soup vegetables)
- 1 (9 ounce) package cheese-filled tortellini
- fresh grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, brown the ground beef with onion for about 5 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink; stir to crumble meat as you cook (add oil if needed to keep meat from sticking).
- Add in tomatoes, stock, tomato juice, thyme, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Increase heat to med-high; add in vegetables and tortellini; cook, uncovered for about 10 minutes or until vegetables/tortellini are tender.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls; sprinkle cheese on top.
I used this recipe to clean use up some foods I had in the freezer. It was great and quite simple. It was very hearty and everyone enjoyed it much!
This was a very good fast soup...I did not put any ground beef in it and I did not have any tomato juice so I used tomato sauce and watered it down...turned out great...
Very Good Soup. Thanks.