Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
365 Easy One Dish Meals
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes with puree
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups chopped swiss chard leaves
- 1⁄3 cup long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- In a soup kettle, cook beef and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally until beef is browned, 5-7 minutes. Drain off any fat.
- Stir in celery and carrots and cook 3 minutes.
- Mix in crushed tomatoes, broth, water, 3 cups Swiss chard, rice, basil, and thyme.
- Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in remaining Swiss chard and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer.