Recipe by cset
This recipe came from a real-estate newsletter we used to get 30 years ago. It has been a favorite recipe for my family ever since. I have since changed to using ground Turkey. And it is still great.
Top Review by Ck2plz
I love Hamburger soup. I wanted to try a different kind and there are many to try. I started off with no changes. However, I did not think there was enough liquid. So I added a 1/2 cup water and 1/2 beef broth. I increased the basil to 1/2t and added a squirt of ketchup. It was yummy. I love the addition of the rice and potatoes. This was great cset!
- 1 lb ground turkey (or hamburger)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup rice, uncooked (I use short grain)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to your taste)
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 4 cups tomatoes (1 qt or 2 cans, I use diced)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare vegetables and set aside.
- Brown meat and onions, just till the onions are a light golden brown. Drain off excess fat.
- Mix other ingredients in a pan, put meat and onions with them and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve with your favorite bread or crackers. I use corn bread.