Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe many years ago in a "Favorite Recipes of America - Casseroles" book. This one can be topped with a pkg. of bought biscuit or cornbread mix, fixed according to the package. My family has enjoyed this recipe through the years. I hope yours will too.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (7 ounce) package cornbread or 1 (7 ounce) package biscuit mix
- Saute the onion, green pepper and beef in oil until brown.
- Drain grease.
- Add the other ingredients through the pepper.
- Turn into a 2 Qt.
- casserole dish.
- Mix up the cornbread or biscuit mix and top the casserole with it.
- Bake in at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until brown.
- Turn onto a serving dish.
Very good-I added, just a little more hamburger and sauce like the review suggested. Excellent for Mixican theme night potluck.
Very tastee,but I would also double the meat layer as it was too small to feed the family. I would also consider adding a can of corn and some chili beans and will probably do this next time I make it!
I made this to take to a pot luck, so I doubled it, and I used the cornmeal topping. It was a big hit, and I will definatly make this again! Thanks for posting it Trisha!