Feast Your Eyes!'s Note:
Few cuts of meat have as much going for them - or for the cook - as ground beef. Long considered a meat-stretcher, it's easy on the wallet and very versatile. You can prepare it for a snack, sandwich, or main dish. It can be kept "family-friendly" or dressed up for company. For the hamburger-lovers out there, put a new face on your patties with these delicious toppings. If you’re a fan of cheese on burgers, don’t limit yourself to the typical American, cheddar, and Swiss choices. Instead, give hard or semi-soft goat or sheep’s cheese, Romano or blue cheese a try. Then there's my favorite, a burger topped with a slice of melted brie. Yummmmm!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
ITALIAN-SEASONED MUSHROOM TOPPING
- 2 cups Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 dash hot sauce (optional)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
BROILED ONION TOPPING
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped (yellow or red)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
SWEET AND TANGY GRILLED ONIONS
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste) (optional)
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced into i/2-inch disks (red or yellow)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons teriyaki sauce (Kikoman is a good choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- pineapple slice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1ITALIAN-SEASONED MUSHROOM TOPPING:.
- 2In a large plastic zip-lock bag add the first 4 ingredients. Squeeze bag to blend ingredients.
- 3Add the mushrooms to the dressing-mix; refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- 4In a small skillet, melt the butter over a medium-high flame.
- 5Drain the mushrooms; cook and stir until lightly browned and moisture evaporates, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 6Serve hot over hamburger patties.
- 7Enough for 6 hamburger patties.
- 8BROILED ONION TOPPING:.
- 9In a small skillet, melt the butter over a medium-high flame.
- 10Add the onions; cook and stir until tender and translucent.
- 11Stir in the remaining ingredients; spread on COOKED hamburger patties. Broil 2 inches from the heat until hot (about 1 minute).
- 12Enough for 6 hamburger patties.
- 13SWEET & TANGY GRILLED ONIONS:.
- 14Slowly whisk the vinegar, honey, parsley and thyme in a small saucepot over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the honey melts. Let cool; add the remaining ingredients.
- 15Prepare a two-zone charcoal fire: MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT & LOW HEAT.
- 16Once the grill is ready, set the onion disks over the hottest part of the fire. Cook for 8 minutes, turning often, or until they are browned on both sides.
- 17Move the onions to the cooler part of the grill. Generously coat with the honey-vinegar mixture, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
- 18Place on a warm platter and brush with the remaining honey-vinegar mixture. Serve immediately.
- 19Enough for 4-6 patties.
- 20TERIYAKII-SESAME BUTTER:.
- 21Mix all the ingredients; spoon onto HOT hamburger patties. If desired, top each burger with a pineapple slice.
- 22Enough for 4 hamburger patties.
- 23COOK'S TIP: How to Toast Sesame Seeds: Spread on to an un-greased shallow baking pan. Bake at 350F until golden brown (5-8 minutes).
- 24DILL-MUSTARD BUTTER:.
- 25Mix all ingredients; spoon onto HOT hamburger patties.
- 26Enough for 6 hamburger patties.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburger Toppings
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 809.3
- Calories from Fat 616
- Total Fat 68.5 g
- Saturated Fat 26.4 g
- Cholesterol 86.5 mg
- Sodium 2844.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 34.5 g
- Protein 5.3 g