1/4 Photos of Hamburger Stroganoff
We ate this at least once a week growing up. Served over extra broad egg noodles or farfalle (bowtie pasta). We mixed the sour cream to taste in our own plates rather than added it to the sauce. Great reheated as leftovers as well. Very quick, the sauce takes as much time as boiling the water and cooking the noodles. If you want, a packet of brown gravy mix can be used in place of the bouillon and half the flour. Watch it, that stuff is salty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, with liquid
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon powder
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon mushroom soy sauce or 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1Brown the ground beef in a hot pan, adding a bit of water to prevent sticking if necessary. I have used a saucepan, electric frypan, as well as a skillet so use what you like.
- 2Add garlic and onion powder, stirring to coat and toast a bit.
- 3Add black pepper to taste.
- 4Add mushrooms with liquid.
- 5Add bouillon powder and hot water, mixing well.
- 6Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Allow to simmer to develop the flavour. Five minutes is good, ten minutes is even better.
- 7Whisk the flour into the cold water to make a slurry. Stir into the simmering beef mixture making sure no lumps form.
- 8Increase heat so that mixture bubbles. Allow to bubble until thickened, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- 9Stir in the soy sauce, taste, and add salt only if needed. The soy sauce and bouillon are salty, so be careful. Diners can always add salt in their plate if needed, it is harder to take it out!
- 10Serve over hot, cooked noodles with a dollop of sour cream for each person to mix in their plate.
- 11If desired you can add 1/2 to 1 cup light sour cream directly to the sauce after removing it from the heat (rather than mixing it in your plate). However, we find it stores better without the sour cream.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburger Stroganoff
Serving Size: 1 (493 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 319.0
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 95.6 mg
- Sodium 434.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 28.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mushroom soy sauce