Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fits just about any diet except vegetarian!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1⁄3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 14 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and saute until browned, about 2 minutes.
- Place on a plate.
- In same skillet over medium-high heat, cook mushrooms and ¼ cup of broth for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic; saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in paprika until well blended.
- Add the remaining broth; cook for 4 minutes.
- While the mushroom mixture is simmering, cook noodles according to package directions, but do not add salt.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and yogurt.
- Mix well; set aside.
- Return the beef and any accumulated juices from plate to skillet; reduce heat to low and stir gently.
- Stir sour cream mixture into skillet; heat through.
- Drain the noodles in a colander.
- Place on serving plates and top with beef mixture.
- Sprinkle with dill and serve immediately.
This is beyond delicious. The only change I made was that I added the dill to the entire dish at the end of cooking, mainly because I love dill. I used fat free sour cream and fat free yogurt, because that's what I had on hand. The taste is really better than any traditional stroganoff recipe I've ever prepared. Definitely a keeper and a frequent flyer in my kitchen. Thanks for posting.
I made several changes due to dietary needs. I drained the fat after cooking the meat, put another teaspoon of olive oil in the pan and continued to cook the mushrooms, etc. I added wine (burgundy) 1/4 cup with each addition of the low sodium chicken broth and again when I returned the meat to the pan. I used low fat sour cream, no yogurt (didn't have any), and finished it off with the dill. If it wasn't for the wine, this would have been unpalatable. This needs a little more, some pepper maybe?
This dish was okay but isn't anything special in the taste category. However, if you're in a hurry this is a good way to get a healthy meal on the table. I give it three stars because it's inexpensive to make, marginal good taste and its healthy. But, my family doesn't want it put on the menu again. We love Italian food so maybe this just wasn't our preference.