Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Hearty meal - delicious served with homemade biscuits. Don't know source
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (I prefer canned tomatoes or fresh if you have them)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- carrot, sliced or diced (I don't like carrots so use your judgment how many)
- potato, cubed
- 1 package frozen green beans (I prefer Italian green beans)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Combine beef, bread crumbs, chopped onion,egg, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce (1/2 cup tomato sauce if you use it).
- Shape into balls- brown in hot oil in skillet.
- Add vegetables, water.
- Pour over remaining tomato sauce (or canned tomatoes).
- Cover and simmer 1 hr.
- stirring occasionally.
- Remove 1/2 cupsauce and mix with flour.
- Gradually pour into stew and stir over low heat until thickened.
My husband and daughter both scarfed this stew up! Very tasty. Love the potato, carrot, green beans and tomato taste! Thanks for posting this one!
I just made this for supper and it was really tasty. Just the perfect combination of everything. I used fresh yellow beans because I had them on hand, but they blended in well. I recommend this recipe to anyone who has fussy eaters as well...my kids are fussy, but they actually liked this recipe! Thanks for sharing!
This was real comfort food! I didn't add the tomatoes or shape the meat into balls but kept the rest basically the same and it turned out to be a hit with the men folk. Thanks.