Recipe by Okie Chef
I love this stew because it is so easy to throw together,and it goes great with a hot pan of cornbread. I suggest Sweet Cornbread (Sweet Cornbread). This recipe was my Great Grandma's and my Grandma taught it to me. It was hard for me to put this in recipe format because it is all in my head. You can adjust some of the ingredients to suit your family.
Top Review by michelles3boys
I have used this recipe as a guideline to make vegetable beef soup for a couple of years now. I have tweaked it a bit, but the changes are not too drastic. Instead of onion, I usually use onion powder. I also use tomato paste instead of tomato sauce (I have to add water to make up for the liquid). I also add a couple of tablespoons of sugar to offset the sourness of the tomatoes. Oh, I also add a bay leaf to the soup while it is simmering. I drain the liquid from the green beans, as I don't care for the flavor, but the liquid from the other vegetables are added. Sometimes I use the oregano called for, but other times I use Italian seasoning. Both are good. I usually simmer the soup for 1 hour. My 9 year old son says I make the BEST vegetable beef soup! I wanted to thank you, Okie Chef, for giving me a good guideline for making it.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2 tablespoon instant minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can carrots, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can green beans, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can peas, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Brown hamburger, garlic, salt, black pepper, and oregano in a Dutch oven over medium heat; drain.
- Return meat to pot.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, potatoes, onions, carrots, tomatoes, green beans, corn, peas and tomato sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Over medium-high heat bring to a slight boil; reduce heat to low; cover.
- Continue simmering stew, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- This stew can easily be tweaked to your family's tastes. I have added cabbage, okra, zucchini and various spices.