I love this stew because it is so easy to throw together,and it goes great with a hot pan of cornbread. I suggest Sweet Cornbread (Sweet Cornbread). This recipe was my Great Grandma's and my Grandma taught it to me. It was hard for me to put this in recipe format because it is all in my head. You can adjust some of the ingredients to suit your family.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2 tablespoon instant minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can carrots, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can green beans, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can peas, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Brown hamburger, garlic, salt, black pepper, and oregano in a Dutch oven over medium heat; drain.
- Return meat to pot.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, potatoes, onions, carrots, tomatoes, green beans, corn, peas and tomato sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Over medium-high heat bring to a slight boil; reduce heat to low; cover.
- Continue simmering stew, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- This stew can easily be tweaked to your family's tastes. I have added cabbage, okra, zucchini and various spices.