Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
In ‘Come Home to Supper’ by Christy Jordan
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- Shape the ground beef into four doughnut-shaped ½-inch-thick patties (the hole in the center will allow the patties to cook evenly and will fill in as the patties shrink during cooking); sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Dip each patty into the flour, making sure to coat both sides, then place the patties in the skillet.
- Cook until browned, 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Move the patties to one side of the skillet and add the onion on the other.
- Cook the onions, stirring, until they are lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Spread the hamburger patties back out among the onions and pour the beef broth into the skillet.
- Cover and continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes; taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper; serve hot.