Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy, satisfying, and one of my favorites. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice for the gravy.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 slices bread, torn (I put them in my mini food processor and make crumbs)
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped (divided)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together all ingredients.
- Form patties and fry over medium heat until no longer pink inside.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In skillet heat about 3 TBSP cooking oil, add 1/4 cup chopped onion and cook til browned.
- Add 3 Tbsp flour and brown til the color of a penny.
- (I think the darker the roux the better the gravy) Add water till desired thickness.
- Place patties in the gravy and let simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
This was a real hit with my husband and 5 year old grandson. Easy to make with delicious flavor. I did add some bell pepper just because I had it in the garden. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.
I used lean ground beef. Sprayed the cast iron skillet with Pam cooking spray. Broke up the bits and crumbs from the bottom of the skillet with a bit of water. Then added 3 Tablespoons of Oil and 3 Tablespoones of flour. Browned as recipe stated. I added water till it was really thin. Let it cook till it got thick then added more water and added the Hamburger Steaks. Cooked it down with the best of the best flavor. I used my seal a meal and have it ready when ever I want. Thank You so very much for the recipe that taste like my Mom's Hugs