Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious and easy to make. The oregano and chili powder were added to suit my family's tastes, but aside from that this is one of the House Specialty at Don's, a cajun restaurant with several locations in Louisiana.
- 1 slice bread (day old) or 1 bun (day old)
- 1 lb choice 90% lean ground beef (10% fat)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄8 lb American cheese, grated
- Soak bread in water.
- In a skillet, cook onion and garlic, if desired.
- Strain water off of bread and crumble bread into meat.
- Add eggs, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
- Shape into 4 patties, flattened to 1-inch thick.
- Stuff equal amounts of cheese into each steak.
- Grill 6-8 minutes on each side at 320°F.
DH liked them... so if he's happy I'm happy. The whole soaking bread thing was new to me but it seemed to turn out ok. I couln't figure out how stuffing the steaks was supposed to work, so I just served the steaks with the cheese sprinkled on top. I did not have 90% lean ground beef and had to drain the skillet once while cooking. Great low carb recipe.
These are very good! I did soak the bread in milk. I ended up making meatballs so they went farther as appetizers. Unexpected company!