Recipe by Chef 'Diva Divine
This soup is thick, hearty, & warming. The perfect antidote to a chilly day. It's worth seeking out the Maggi seasoning, which may be found in the asian or Latin American sections of the supermarket.
- 1⁄2 lb ground sirloin
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 28 ounces beef broth
- 3 celery ribs (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon maggi seasoning or 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cabbage
- 5 -7 new potatoes (quartered)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sirloin, onion, and garlic,breaking up any clumps of meat. Drain off as much fat as possible. Transfer to bowl.
- Wipe skillet with a paper towl. add the oil and heat oer medium-high heat. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook the roux, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it turns a rich brown. Don't rush this ; it will take 10-15 minutes If the flour burns, discard it and try again with more oil and flour.
- Add 14oz broth and stir with a whisk until the texture is smooth. Add the remaining broth and stir until smooth. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker. Stir in the meat and onion mixture , celery, carrots, tomatoes, Maggi seasoning, and pepper. Season with salt (If you used canned broth you may NOT need any salt at all). Add cabbage , cover and cook on high 4-6hours.
- Serve Hot.