This meaty Spanish rice has lots of flavor. Every time I make this dish, it reminds me of my childhood days when I was in grade school, and the delicious hamburger Spanish rice which was served for lunch. Prep time includes cooking the bacon, hamburger, and vegetables.
- 6 slices bacon, thick sliced bacon
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 of one green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, cut-up
- 2⁄3 cup long grain white rice
- In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon slices until crisp; drain on paper towel and set aside.
- In the same skillet, along with the bacon grease, brown the hamburger and cook the vegetables; then drain in a colander.
- Return cooked beef and vegetables to the skillet, then add the remaining ingredients.
- Crumble bacon slices, and add to the skillet, and stir.
- Bring ingredients in skillet to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Note: You can substitute stewed tomatoes for the regular canned tomatoes.