Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This has been in my family for ages - my grandmother used to make this during the depression. Don't let the simple ingredients turn you off--this is definitely more than it seems it should be. It seems that I crave this when I'm not quite feeling up to par. I love this with a nice slice or two of warm bread.
- Dice the onion, carrot and potatoes and place in the pot of water.
- Add a little salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes and carrot are tender.
- Bring to a slow boil again, and sprinkle the uncooked beef into the soup.
- Let cook for a few minutes to be sure the beef is done.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- I find that the more I make this, the more veggies I add. I now add celery with the carrot, onion and potato, and after it's done (beef is cooked), I'll add corn or peas, or leftover spinach/kale/greens whatever, even leftover rice or barley pilaf~~~Since being laid off 2 years ago, there's not an awful lot that I waste! And it still comes out great, and I still love the original one!
Oh the memories! I love this with cornbread or fresh sourdough with real butter! Sometimes I add 1 tsp italian seasoning, V-8 juice and leftover frozen veggies. You can't lose with this recipe. Thanks for posting!
Thanks for posting! I used to make this in college, except I'd brown the meat first with the onion and then add the liquid and remaining ingredients. Sometimes I'd throw a little cabbage in there. too. It's a quick filling soup.