This has been in my family for ages - my grandmother used to make this during the depression. Don't let the simple ingredients turn you off--this is definitely more than it seems it should be. It seems that I crave this when I'm not quite feeling up to par. I love this with a nice slice or two of warm bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dice the onion, carrot and potatoes and place in the pot of water.
- 2Add a little salt and pepper.
- 3Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes and carrot are tender.
- 4Bring to a slow boil again, and sprinkle the uncooked beef into the soup.
- 5Let cook for a few minutes to be sure the beef is done.
- 6Salt and pepper to taste.
- 8I find that the more I make this, the more veggies I add. I now add celery with the carrot, onion and potato, and after it's done (beef is cooked), I'll add corn or peas, or leftover spinach/kale/greens whatever, even leftover rice or barley pilaf~~~Since being laid off 2 years ago, there's not an awful lot that I waste! And it still comes out great, and I still love the original one!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburger Soup (Real Comfort Food!)
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.6
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 108.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 23.5 g