Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Super fast hearty dinner! It is actually pretty enough for company too. Throw some frozen dinner rolls in the oven as soon as the burger is done, and you have a complete, delicious meal in about 20 minutes. And the leftovers are even better! If you can't get quick cooking barley, you can use tiny pasta like acini di pepe, orzo, Israeli couscous or even rice. Or parcook regular barley.
- 1 lb lean hamburger
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley or 1⁄2 cup small-size pasta
- 1 (8 ounce) box frozen peas and carrots
- 1 (16 ounce) candiced potatoes, rinsed and drained
- Break up the hamburger and cook in skillet. Make sure that it cooks long enough that some of it becomes dark brown and sticks to pan. (this is the Maillard reaction, and it makes food taste 100 times better!).
- Remove meat and drain off fat if there is more than a tablespoon or so.
- Place meat in a soup pot, and place skillet back on stovetop.
- Add onion, and cook, sort of stirring up any brown bits on bottom of pan. Cook 3-5 minutes, til translucent.
- Add garlic and cook just until it is fragrant - about 1 minute.
- Add a splash of beef broth to completely deglaze the pan. Then add onions and the liquid to soup pot.
- Add remaining stock, tomatoes (juice and all), seasoning if using and barley to pot. Cook until barley is done - about 10 minutes.
- Add peas and carrots, and potatoes to pot. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.