Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Really good and warms you up on those cold summer and winter days in Alberta :-)
- 453.59 g hamburger
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 potatoes, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3-4 carrots, chopped
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 1304.07 g can tomato juice or 1304.07 g can V8 vegetable juice
- 28.34 g package onion soup mix
- salt and pepper
- Brown hamburger and onion; drain off fat and add vegetables.
- Cook 5-10 minutes to soften vegetables.
- Add tomato juice and soup mix.
- Let simmer 1 hour.Season as desired.
Good one even for cold nights in Toronto.
I made this soup and Brenda's "Homemade Bread" today for dinner. Both were great. I used homemade tomato juice and it was too tart for my taste so I added a can of tomato soup plus a can of water. That toned down the tartness, but, now it had too much tomato taste. So I added a can of chicken broth. I also put a big clove of garlic through a garlic press and added that too. That did the trick for me. I simmered it for about two and a half hours because I wanted it thicker. Today was a very cold day and it hit the spot.
I made this for my husband and it is now a favorite. Perfect comfort food for a cold day. I left out the cabbage and added the following spices parsley, basil, oregano, worcestershire and a couple of bay leafs. Thank you for posting.