Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a great soup for a cold day. Heat some rolls or bread sticks, and you're done.
Make and share this Hamburger Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2-1 lb hamburger
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, medium,chopped
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup barley or 1⁄2 cup rice
- 16 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 bag frozen vegetables, your choice
- garlic powder
- Partially brown the hamburger and drain.
- Toss in the celery and onion, and cook until translucent.
- Drain again.
- Pour in water.
- If using barley, toss in and simmer 1 hour.
- If using rice, simmer 1/2 hour and then toss in rice and simmer 1/2 hour more.
- Partially chop the tomatoes, and add the potatoes and vegetables.
- Simmer 45 minutes more.
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
Where do I start..wow this is great! I had made an enquiry on the discussion forum regarding tomato sauce as in NZ tomato sauce is ketchup and figured it wasnt that, sooo I ended up using a tin of Italian flavoured tomatoes, and a tin of tomato soup. I used barley and a half a packet of thick and chunky frozen vegetables. It makes heaps and will be a regular in this house. Thanks for posting. =)
A very good and easy soup recipe. I used both barley and rice - liked the variety. Next time I will add some more spices - perhaps some beef boullion or oregano to give it more of a kick. A very simple soup to put together with everything that I have on hand on a regular basis. Thank-you for posting.
A very filling soup - almost a stew. It made 6 qrts. Followed the recipe exactly, except, I only had a 8 oz. can of tomato sauce - so I also added 1 can condensed tomato soup. For the missing seasonings I added a couple cloves of finely chopped garlic (thrown in with the browning meat), some chopped green peppers, 1 tsp dried thyme and some dried parsley flakes. Used frozen mixed veggies and a can of mushrooms. Opted for rice (not barley). It needed a bit more seasoning so I threw in 2 tsps. beef bouillon granules. Next time I'll throw in a bit more. Overall, it was a good soup which I will make again.