Recipe by wildheart
This is a great soup for a cold day. Heat some rolls or bread sticks, and you're done.
Top Review by Evie*
Where do I start..wow this is great! I had made an enquiry on the discussion forum regarding tomato sauce as in NZ tomato sauce is ketchup and figured it wasnt that, sooo I ended up using a tin of Italian flavoured tomatoes, and a tin of tomato soup. I used barley and a half a packet of thick and chunky frozen vegetables. It makes heaps and will be a regular in this house. Thanks for posting. =)
- 1⁄2-1 lb hamburger
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, medium,chopped
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup barley or 1⁄2 cup rice
- 16 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 bag frozen vegetables, your choice
- garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Partially brown the hamburger and drain.
- Toss in the celery and onion, and cook until translucent.
- Drain again.
- Pour in water.
- If using barley, toss in and simmer 1 hour.
- If using rice, simmer 1/2 hour and then toss in rice and simmer 1/2 hour more.
- Partially chop the tomatoes, and add the potatoes and vegetables.
- Simmer 45 minutes more.
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.