Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from Penzey's Spices. It is hearty and so flavorful. A great way to use up leftover vegetables from the week. (4/S is a seasoned salt that Penzey's sells. You can substitute any seasoned salt).
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1 cup carrot, cut into coins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (4/S)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley, cooked according to package directions
- In a large Dutch oven, brown the ground beef.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the water and stir in the celery, potatoes, carrots, salt, 4/S, pepper, basil, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked barley and cook for another 5 minutes.