Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Don't be fooled by the title of this soup. It has wonderful flavor and is so hearty that it can be used as the main course along with some homemade bread. It is delicious. I make it a lot in the winter months when we have a lot of snow--it warms you up. You may use rice in place of the barley, or a little of both.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 5 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up (I use petite cut)
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup barley, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 dash ground pepper
- Brown hamburg in large pan breaking up into medium pieces.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour or till veggies are tender.
- If you have any leftover rice, peas, or corn, add them at the end and heat well.
- This soup freezes well as long as there is no potato in it.
I did not have any canned tomatoes so I chopped up 3 roma tomatoes and threw those in instead. I also substituted 1/4 cup of v8 for the ketchup. I didn't add the seasoning salt but I did use the full amount of broth. I didn't think it was overly salty until we started in on the left overs. So I do think I will decrease the broth next time. I like lots of veggies in my soup so I used 4 carrots and two stalks of celery. Also, instead of barley I used white rice. Very good! I will definitely be making this again.
This was very good! I didn't have bouillon cubes so I used 6 tsp. of the granules instead. The diced tomatoes I used were fire roasted as well which added a nice touch. I also added 10oz frozen corn (thawed) and 1 celery stalk.
Very good soup! Used 4 bouillon cubes and an extra cup of water. Out of carrots, so subbed with frozen mixed veggies.