Recipe by Broke Guy
This recipe is from an article about White Castle and their famous sliders. White Castle is located in the American Midwest and Atlantic states. The White Castle Company offers different condiments depending on locality: brown mustard (Chicago, Cincinnati-Dayton, Louisville and Nashville), horseradish mustard (Indianapolis and St. Louis), ketchup (New York and New Jersey), and yellow mustard in a few locations.
- 1 cup dehydrated onion
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 lb ground chuck
- 1⁄4 lb ground beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 dill pickle slices (the round ones)
- 6 square dinner rolls
- brown mustard (garnish)
- horseradish mustard (garnish)
- yellow mustard (garnish)
- ketchup (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, combine the onions with the water, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to make the sliders, drain any excess water from the onions and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the ground chuck and the ground beef. Don't over-mix. Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap. Dump the meat onto it and cover with another sheet. Using a rolling pin, roll very thinly (about 1/4 inch thick) into a large rectangle.
- Trim any excess from the rectangle and reroll into a smaller rectangle. Using a pizza cutter, cut 3x3 inch patties out of both rectangles. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Using the bottom of a fork or spoon, twirl 5 small holes in each patty (like the pips of the five on a six sided die).
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onions and season well with salt. Saute the onions in the butter for 3 minutes. Spread the onions thinly across the bottom of the skillet. Place each square patty seasoning side down onto the bed of the onions. Cover and steam the patties for 4 minutes.
- Wrap the buns in wet paper towels and microwave for 20 seconds. To serve, split the dinner rolls horizontally across the middle and place a patty with a tablespoon of onion on lower half of a dinner roll. Top with one dill pickle slice and then top with upper half of dinner roll. Serve immediately with choice of condiments.