Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a super helpful recipe I found in a "Company's Coming" cookbook. The whole family tucks into this dish with a salad on the side. I also like it because it follows the technique of Hamburger Helper (read: easy to do) without having to buy a box from the store.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- oregano, just a pinch
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken into 1 to 2 inch lengths
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2 cheddar cheese
- Scramble-fry ground beef, onion and garlic in large non-stick frying pan 3-5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is no longer pink.
- Add water, spaghetti sauce, basil, sugar and oregano.
- Heat until boiling.
- Add pasta.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until pasta is tender but firm and liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Add mozzarella cheese.
- Stir until melted.
This was great. My family got up for seconds and thirds which is very rare for us since we try not to eat past the full feeling. This was a great way for me to use some Zuc since I never know exactly what to do with it but always buy it. I did make a few adjustments just for what I had on hand. I used 3/4cup bottled mushroom stems/pcs. 1/2tsp thyme, 2 cups tomato sauce and elbow pasta. I used grated swiss cheese and the fam. topped theirs with parm. chz. Thanks so much for posting this recipe.
My family loved this simple but delicious recipe. I actually used Prego's chunky garden sauce because it has zucchini already as well as plenty of other veggies. I also used can mushrooms and minced garlic instead. Even as a leftover dish it was sooo good!
This is a standby recipe that I've made over a dozen times. Delicious! I omit the zucchini, mushrooms, and cheese, but otherwise as written, and I double it for my large family. Thank you for this great one pot dinner recipe!