Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Back during the 50's in Southern California, this was a very popular dish in small "Mom and Pop" diners. It doesn't appear on menus anymore, but it is still a solid comfort food for a chilly evening. Wash it down with ice cold beer.
- Spread butter on the open faces of the buns, sprinkle them with garlic powder and black pepper, then fry them on a griddle if you have one, or in a skillet, until toasty brown.
- Mold the meat into patties then cook them thoroughly.
- Heat the chili.
- I use a microwave.
- Depending on your taste,you might wish to muscle up the chili a bit with some hot sauce.
- Plate it up by placing the buns, face up, on the plate.
- Put the meat patty on the bun, smother it with a generous amount of chili, sprinkle some cheese over the chili, scatter onions and nacho slices on top of everything.
- Dig in!
we had these all the time without the peppers but it adds a nice toch thanks for the memory lol