I found this in Better Homes and Gardens Low-Cost Cooking cookbook. I've had the cookbook for about 25 years and only recently discovered this recipe. It's one of those recipes that I make just about anytime because I always have the ingredients on hand and my family (especially my youngest son) loves it!
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground pork
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped (I use frozen green pepper)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, shredded
- In a skillet coated with spray oil, brown ground beef, onion, green pepper, and garlic until meat is browned. Drain off fat.
- Add rice; cook stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cheese).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover, sprinkle with cheese, if desired. (We put the cheese on at the table.).