1 hr 30 mins
One of the most frequently requested recipes ever printed in The New York Times is this novelty: a hamburger roll filled with mashed potatoes. From The New York Times Cookbook by Craig Claibourne
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon dripping
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano or 1/4 teaspoon rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon basil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 cups seasoned mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley (optional) or 1 tablespoon green pepper (optional)
- 3 slices bacon (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Heat the drippings, add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is transparent. Remove to mixing bowl and add the ground beef. Add the egg.
- 3Soften the bread in water, press out the excess water and add bread to the meat. Add the salt, oregano and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- 4Sprinkle a piece of waxed paper with crumbs. Press the meat on the crumbs to make a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- 5Beat the mashed potatoes with the parsley and spread on top of the meat. (If leftover potato is used, reheat before spreading).
- 6Using the waxed paper as an aid, roll the meat and potatoes, jelly-roll fashion, and place in a loaf pan or on a shallow baking pan. Grease the pan if the meat is very lean. Place the bacon on top if using or brush with additional drippings; baste at least once during baking.
- 7Bake about one hour and serve with a brown sauce made from the pan drippings, or with mushroom, tomato or other sauce.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburger Potato Roll
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.9
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 85.7 mg
- Sodium 742.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 18.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: