Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a simple recipe that is easy to make but very delicious. It combines 2 of my favorite ingredients; hamburger and mashed potatoes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 16 ounces drained peas
- 32 ounces tomato soup
- 3 -4 regular size potatoes
- grated cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a pan, brown the hamburger and drain the grease. Add in the tomato soup and peas and warm the mixture. Pour the finished mixture into a casserole dish. I use one around 10" square.
- Make your mashed potatoes as usual, then scoop them on top and spread them to cover the entire mixture. You can then top it with grated cheese if desired. When I want an extra cheesy dish, I mix some cheese in with the mashed potatoes as well.
- Put the dish in the oven for about 20 minutes, then raise the temperature to 450 degrees for about 5 minutes. This adds a nice crusting to the potatoes.
This is similar to the hamburger pie I grew up with. The differences are that we used canned green beans instead of peas. And we put an egg in the mashed potatoes to make them a little more firm. YUMMY!! My oldest daughter loves it!