Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of my favorites growing up. It's fast and easy.
Make and share this Hamburger Pie recipe from Food.com.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender, drain fat.
- Stir in green beans, soup and 1/4 cup water, salt and pepper.
- Turn mixture into 1 1/2 qt casserole dish.
- In a covered pan, cook potatoes in boiling water for about 20 minutes or until just tender, drain. Mash while hot, stir in egg.
- Add enough milk to potatoes to hold their shape.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Drop potatoes in mounds on beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes 350* or until heated through.
My cousins in South Dakota use the word "hot dish" a lot and this reminded me of the casseroles they make. It was easy to prepare and tasty.
This is a variation of an old 1950's betty crocker recipe for hamburger pie. I grew up on it and love it too! The orig. recipe calles for just the onions, beef, cut g. beans, some msg, salt, pepper, and 1 can of tom. soup. The book then says to top it with some leftover mashed potatos (my mom always used instant if she didn't have any) and then a sprinkling of paprika. My husband would love that you added cheese. He always says "you know what would taste good on this...cheese!".