Recipe by Sharlene~W
To make this quick meal even quicker, use instant mashed potatoes. You can make it "pretty" by squeezing potato mixture through pasty bag with a large star tip.
Top Review by Tammy_409493291
This has been a family favorite for years. It's so quick and easy to make. We've also tried substituting different vegetables and have tried cream of mushroom soup in place of the tomato. We always end up liking the original the best. I have to make enough Hamburger Pie the first night for leftovers for my youngest son. Otherwise, I end up making it 2 nights in a row!
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut up
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in large frying pan, cook ground beef and onion until meat is lightly browned and onion is tender; drain off fat.
- Stir in green beans, tomato soup, water, salt and pepper.
- Turn mixture into a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Mash potatoes while hot; blend in egg.
- Add enough milk to make potatoes fluffy.
- Season potatoes to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread or drop potato mixture on top of meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.