Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this recipe about 20 years ago in a magazine (don't remember which one though). My whole family loves it and our personal preference is to use cream of mushroom. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce (or 1 can cream of mushroom - your preference)
- 2 tablespoons onions
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Form patties and brown until done.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce (or cream of mushroom), onion, brown sugar, worcestershire, and mustard.
- Pour sauce over patties.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
Great work, Dreamgoddess! Solid, savory comfort food. I added a dollop of red wine, and left out the sugar, and doubled up on the onions. My dad used to make a dish very similar to this, and that is how I learned that a man can cook without being a sissy.
This was very good. I made the tomato option and will try the mushroom next time. The sauce was a bit sweet for me, I will reduce the sugar next time if I made the tomato sauce type again. Very enjoyable and simple recipe.
I used the mushroom soup in this recipe. My husband enjoyed it so much that I have already made it twice! Now we have a new way to use up the frozen hamburger patties that I have in the freezer... we liked this better than hamburgers!