Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from a couple of similar recipes.
Make and share this Hamburger Pasta With Cheese and Bacon recipe from Food.com.
- In a cup mix together the water, tomato paste and wine, set aside.
- In a large skillet, cooked diced bacon until crisp, drain and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet with the bacon drippings, sauté the diced onions until tender, mix in garlic during the last couple of minutes and transfer to the bowl with bacon.
- Discard bacon grease and cook ground beef until no longer pink, drain and add in tomato soup, tomato paste mixture, onions, bacon, and stir until combined, season with salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer while pasta cooks, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and save 1 cup of pasta water before draining.
- Add drained pasta to skillet and stir to combine, add pasta water as needed if mix is dry.
- Top with cheese, cover and cook until the cheese is melted.
We quite liked this recipe. I think maybe the bacon makes the difference. Usually I don't use tomato soup in a recipe of this type, but I tried it and it was good. Better than I expected! I used bowties instead of elbow mac; other than that, I made no changes. I might spice it up next time as Tinkerbell suggests; I agree with her about the red wine. Thanks, I will make this again.
I loved how the red wine sophisticates the flavor of a classic hamburger pasta dish. The bacon is a very welcome flavor, kids love the macaroni, and I love how easy it is to make a homemade "hamburger helper". As is, this is an excellent base recipe. However, my family's taste leans a little more toward the spicy side, and in the future I'll try adding a diced jalapeno, some chili powder, or even just a can of Rotel tomatoes. I made this recipe as directed until serving time when I realized I had forgotten to bring home my cheddar cheese after cooking at a friend's house. So, I subbed in some fresh Parmesan shreds for myself while everyone else ate it without cheese at all. Thanks for sharing your very versatile creation, Papa. We're going to miss your recipe imagination! Made & enjoyed during the June 2012 Cookathon in your memory.
This is one of those meals that you know your kids will eat. Hearty and filling, and quick to make on a weeknight. Something all cooks need to have in their cookbooks. Made in honor of Papa D's Cookathon. Thanks for sharing!