Recipe by Papa D 1946-2012
Adapted from a couple of similar recipes.
Top Review by Jezski
We quite liked this recipe. I think maybe the bacon makes the difference. Usually I don't use tomato soup in a recipe of this type, but I tried it and it was good. Better than I expected! I used bowties instead of elbow mac; other than that, I made no changes. I might spice it up next time as Tinkerbell suggests; I agree with her about the red wine. Thanks, I will make this again.
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni, raw
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 6 ounces water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a cup mix together the water, tomato paste and wine, set aside.
- In a large skillet, cooked diced bacon until crisp, drain and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet with the bacon drippings, sauté the diced onions until tender, mix in garlic during the last couple of minutes and transfer to the bowl with bacon.
- Discard bacon grease and cook ground beef until no longer pink, drain and add in tomato soup, tomato paste mixture, onions, bacon, and stir until combined, season with salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer while pasta cooks, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and save 1 cup of pasta water before draining.
- Add drained pasta to skillet and stir to combine, add pasta water as needed if mix is dry.
- Top with cheese, cover and cook until the cheese is melted.