Recipe by lazyme
This is a recipe from the Ukraine region of Russia. This is what the author said....When I first heard of it, it seemed impossible that you could make meat loaf with pancakes; but you can, and it is delicious. From "THE NEW HAMBURGER COOKBOOK by METTJA C. ROATE".
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 raw eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup stock (or 1/4 cup water with 1 bouillon cube dissolved in it)
- 1⁄4 cup buttered browned breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the flour in a bowl and mix in the 1/2 teaspoon salt and the baking powder.
- Beat the raw eggs in the milk.
- Slowly stir the egg and milk mixture into the flour.
- Stir very well, then set aside for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet, then place the ground meat in the skillet and fry until golden brown.
- Add the onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper and Accent.
- Remove from heat and add the chopped hard-boiled eggs, then the stock.
- Stir, mixing all well.
- Heat a griddle and place 1 tablespoon of batter for each of the pancakes on it.
- Brown on both sides; set the finished pancakes aside until all the batter is used up.
- Place pancakes to cover the bottom of a greased loaf tin.
- Follow with about a half-inch layer of the meat mixture.
- Continue alternate layers of pancakes and meat until all is used up.
- You should end with pancakes on the last layer. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over all.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes.