Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another recipe posting for safe keeping that I found in TOH magazine. This is a very economical and filling dish. Can also make it lighter by subbing light cream cheese, sour cream and cottage cheese.
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, salt, garlic salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese, green onion, green pepper and sour cream.
- Drain noodles; place half of noodles in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Spoon half of beef mixture over the top. Layer with cottage cheese mixture and remaining noodles. Top with remaining beef mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Mmmmmm, what a yummy dinner here at the homestead. It was a pure comfort evening for us and we enjoyed this while watching Pirates of the Caribbean :D. The recipe is simple, hearty and the servings are quite generous. I really don't think I would change anything.
Delicious! This is so like the recipe I used to make and loved but lost the recipe. The only thing I will be changing next time, and there will be a next time, is adding some Italian seasoning. That's the only thing missing. It made plenty for two...you could even get by on serving it to three. Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I'm so happy I found it. :)
YUMMM and just the right serving for DH and I. I'm thnking I could make this in a larger batch and freezzzzzzzzzzzzzzze for a quick dinner for the two of us. I have a picture of the bake, but can't get it off my camera... will post when I can. Made for newest.