Recipe by diner524
Another recipe posting for safe keeping that I found in TOH magazine. This is a very economical and filling dish. Can also make it lighter by subbing light cream cheese, sour cream and cottage cheese.
Top Review by Annacia
Mmmmmm, what a yummy dinner here at the homestead. It was a pure comfort evening for us and we enjoyed this while watching Pirates of the Caribbean :D. The recipe is simple, hearty and the servings are quite generous. I really don't think I would change anything.
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, salt, garlic salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese, green onion, green pepper and sour cream.
- Drain noodles; place half of noodles in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Spoon half of beef mixture over the top. Layer with cottage cheese mixture and remaining noodles. Top with remaining beef mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.