Recipe by Halcyon Eve
I came across this recipe for minestrone, adapted for the South Beach Diet, on the 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet boards a few years ago. It's become a family favorite since. It makes quite a lot of soup, but it reheats well. If making this for the South Beach Diet, watch out for added sugar in the tomatoes and beans-- a lot of canned beans and tomato products have sugar added to them. You can also substitute very lean ground turkey and chicken broth for the beef.
Top Review by lilleyboys
GREAT recipe!!! I added an additional cup of cabbage mix, 3 bouillon cubes, lots of garlic powder and pepper for a more intense flavor. Fast and easy to make on those busy nights, especially if the ground beef is precooked. : ) Very satisfying! This one is a keeper!
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (less than 10% fat)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 6 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, undrained (no sugar added)
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage (I use bagged coleslaw salad mix to save time)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or canneloni or great northern beans, no sugar added)
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef ovr medium heat in a 6-quart soup pot and drain (rinse in hot water, drain, and return to pot, if desired).
- Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cheese) and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, if desired.