Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another one of my favorite soups. Recipe is from Betty Crocker with a few slight changes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 cups water or 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth or 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni or 1⁄2 cup broken spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon (dry)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cook and stir ground beef, onion and garlic in Dutch oven until beef is brown; drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese; break tomatoes with fork.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until macaroni is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with cheese.
Excellent soup! And fast to throw together. I made mine vegetarian by omitting the ground beef, using veggie broth/bouillon, and adding veggie burger crumbles at the end. I didn't have any zucchini, so I thew in some frozen peas for something green. I also added extra Italian Seasoning. THANKS for posting this!
A lovely, hearty meal-in-a-bowl soup that we enjoyed for our dinner tonight. I took note of the other reviewer and added 2 teaspoons of Mexican chilli powder and a slug of Tabasco. I discovered I only had creamed corn (worked fine) and used a 14 ounce can of that and the same of red kidney beans as there seemed to be more liquid than beans in my can. I'm looking forward to leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
Lainey, this soup is oustanding! It is so very hearty and a stick to your ribs kind of meal. My husband and I both really loved this. I made a few of changes. I cheated and used pre-packaged, shredded cole slaw. I used Italian diced tomatoes instead of the whole ones. I put in a 15 ounce can of corn instead of the 8 ounce. Lastly, I added two teaspoons of chili powder and dropped in a whole, fresh jalepeno pepper while the soup simmered. Yummy! Thanks for posting this delicious recipe.